Currently we are not accepting applications. Our 2017 application will be open later this fall.
THEATRE ARTS – June 25 – July 29, 2017; $5,600
DESIGN/TECH – JUNE 25 – JULY 29, 2017; $5,600
MUSICAL THEATRE EXTENSION – July 30 – August 12, 2017; $7,600*
*The Musical Theatre tuition includes both the 5-week Theatre Arts Program and a 2-week Musical Theatre Extension. Design/Tech students may also apply for the full 7-weeks.
Our Theatre Arts Division is an immersive, hands-on exploration into stage performance and production. A rigorous combination of classes and rehearsals provide students with a challenging and inspiring learning environment every day for 5 weeks. Working with professional theatre practitioners from around the country, students receive extraordinary training in a collaborative and supportive environment.
We’re Unique Because:
- Every theatre arts student performs in our highly regarded final productions, presented to the public in repertory during the final week of the program.
- NHSI allows students to experience their place in theatre without placing any focus on grades or numeric evaluations.
- We create a safe environment to explore and experiment, while at the same time pushing actors and designers to discover themselves and their art at new and unexpected levels.
- Since we award neither grades nor credit, students can feel free to try every exercise, idea, style, etc., to their fullest without fear of ‘failure.’
What Our 2015 Students Say:
- “My favorite part of the program was the freedom to explore my art without any limits or hindrances and being able to have a college experience.”
- “The staff truly made it feel like you were working with professionals, which is what one looks to get out of a program as rigorous as this. At the same time, however, each and every one of them was approachable, willing to exchange advice, and personable in their own right…and that is something not every summer program can offer.”
- “The activities were so enjoyable and educational. The other students were incredibly inclusive and talented. Valuable doesn’t even begin to describe this program.”
What the Faculty Say:
- “The demands placed on cherubs are not unlike the demands placed upon college students (and professional actors). It is assumed that any student entering this program has reached the level of maturity, understanding, and dedication necessary to handle everything that will be expected of him/her.”
- “I believe that there is no other program in the world like the NHSI Theatre Arts Division. This may seem like an awfully tall statement, but given what we offer to the students and demand of them in return I don’t believe there is anything comparable”
What Parents Say:
“I want to thank everyone at National High School Institute – Theatre Arts Division summer program for my daughter’s wonderful experience. From the moment we arrived to check her into the program, your top-notch staff couldn’t have been nicer and more helpful.
The directors and the cast and crew of all the shows were amazing. I saw all 10 plays and thought they were all fantastic. My daughter’s director made a strong impression on her. She learned so much from him and felt he extracted her full potential. She feels she can take these skills and techniques she learned and apply them to her future performances.
This was truly a life changing experience for my daughter. I know she will never forget this summer and that she will take all that she learned with her throughout her life.
Thanks from the bottom of my heart.”