All positions listed are for the National High School Institute, colloquially known as The Cherub Program. The NHSI is located in Evanston at Northwestern University. Northwestern University seeks to employ a varied and diverse range of dynamic people who understand the importance of our mission and vision. When you consider a temporary opportunity at Northwestern University, you know that you are joining an institution with a deep history of academic, professional, and personal development.
Temporary – NHSI Film Faculty Associate
National High School Institute: This is a 5 ½ week summer position, full-time (day and evening commitment), starting June 22nd through July 29th. Position includes room and board. Salary is $2,300 for the summer.
This position is for the National High School Institute located in Evanston at Northwestern University.
Northwestern University seeks to employ a varied and diverse range of dynamic people who understand the importance of our mission and vision. When you consider a temporary opportunity at Northwestern University, you know that you are joining an institution with a deep history of academic, professional, and personal development.
The Faculty Associates (FAs) must possess and demonstrate an interest in the academic, social and emotional growth of high school students, serve as mature and positive role models for students, and exhibit a strong work ethic and commitment to teamwork. The FAs primary responsibility is to ensure the health and safety of students of the Film Institute program. FAs will also work with Film Faculty and Staff, assisting with academically challenging instruction to NHSI students and carrying out administrative tasks as assigned by the Film Faculty.
- Serve as a Resident Assistant in the Residence Halls
- Ensure students’ safety
- Nightly check-in with assigned students
- Accompany ill or injured students to health center
- Attend program orientation
- Chaperone students on field trips
- Assist final film productions
- Assist with end of program banquet
- Assist with administrative responsibilities
- Follow all NHSI rules and regulations concerning staff conduct, appropriate dress, program procedures, and other responsibilities as set forth in the staff handbook
- Be knowledgeable of administrative policies and University procedures
- Based on experience, there may be opportunities to:
- Assistant teach in film classes
- Create and teach a workshop
- Organize and lead community building extracurricular events
- Current undergraduate students, preferably completing their junior or senior years of college. Candidate seeking a degree in Film and/or Theatre a plus.
- Skilled in one of the following Film disciplines: Directing, Editing, Cinematography, Screenwriting, or Acting for the Camera a plus.
- Self-motivated, strong work ethic, and commitment to collaborative work
- Strong interpersonal and organization skills
- Supervisory/leadership experience with students, preferably in a fast-paced academic environment.
“As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.”
Please apply through Northwestern’s hiring website. Search Job ID 46888. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Design/Tech Positions – Theatre Institute
National High School Institute: The Theatre Institute at NHSI is looking to hire designers and theater technicians for its 2023 season. Positions we are looking for are:
Assistant Costume Shop Manager
Assistant Props Designer
Assistant Master Electrician
Ideal candidates are those who enjoy working with students and have a passion for instruction and understand that our process is more important than our product. While we do want our shows to look and sound beautiful, that should not come at the expense of anyone’s safety or mental health.
Compensation ranges from $2,000 to $7,000 depending on the position.
Dates of employment are approximately June 22 – July 29th, 2023 depending on the particular position.
To apply: please send a cover letter and resume to: Jennifer.firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline to apply is March 31, 2023
Northwestern University’s Careers Webpage
Under “Search jobs” enter “NHSI”. You will then be able to scroll through available positions, listed by their Job ID Number and Job title. Click the job in which you are interested. ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED THROUGH NORTHWESTERN’S HIRING WEBSITE, UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED IN THE DESCRIPTION.
As per Northwestern University policy, these positions require a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern requires all staff and faculty to be vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to limited exceptions. For more information, please visit our COVID-19 and Campus Updates website.
The Northwestern campus sits on the traditional homelands of the people of the Council of Three Fires, the Ojibwe, Potawatomi, and Odawa as well as the Menominee, Miami and Ho-Chunk nations. We acknowledge and honor the original people of the land upon which Northwestern University stands, and the Native people who remain on this land today.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Click for information on EEO is the Law.