The Theatre Arts Division of the NHSI is a competitive program. Application decisions, made by the Admissions Committee, are based on ability and merit. Enrollment is limited.
- Students must be current high school juniors who will be rising into their senior year of high school following their summer at Northwestern
- Should rank academically near the top 30% of your high school class
- Meet a high standard of character, responsibility, and intelligence
- Able to provide evidence of experience and/or substantial interest in the theatre arts
How to Apply
- Fill out and submit the National High School Institute Application including $50 application fee.
- You will receive an email from NHSI confirming your application has been received along with instructions on how to submit supplemental materials, completing your application. You should receive this confirmation email within 2-3 business days of applying.
- Submit the supplemental materials as outlined in your confirmation email to complete your application. These include a resume, two essay responses, a letter of recommendation, current high school transcript, and if available, standardized test scores. Further details will be included in your confirmation email.
2023 Application Deadlines
Early Admission Deadline
Initial online applications are due January 6, 2023
All supplemental materials will be due January 13, 2023
Students will be notified of their admittance status by February 10, 2023
Regular Admission Deadline
Initial online applications are due March 10, 2023
All supplemental materials will be due March 17, 2023
Students will be notified of their admittance status by April 14, 2023
In the unlikely event of Online Programming, the following materials are required:
- ALL Students must use a desktop or laptop computer with a webcam, microphone, and audio capability.
- This online course works best with a fast, reliable internet connection, and requires Chrome web browser.
- ALL Students should be prepared to dedicate 6-10 hours per week for this course.
“The activities were so enjoyable and educational. The other students were incredibly inclusive and talented. Valuable doesn’t even begin to describe this program.”
“I just loved it and I feel more confident in my creative ability as an actor.”